Colorado Weekend Road Warriors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie (site)

Go down

Newbie (site) Empty Newbie (site)

Post  Spat Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:05 pm

Hey Admin lonely over here? A shamless plug from ADV brought me to come see ya. So many forums so little time, good idea you have. I'll keep checking and wish ya good luck.

Spat
Lakewood

Spat

Back to top Go down

Newbie (site) Empty New to Denver

Post  KUDOS Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:20 pm

First Noooobie.....from ADV...Modette, thanks for the invite.

Hi all

I hope to meet up with some of you in the future.

It would be great if you would tell me more about the (Clan) do you meet up much? Where do you go?

Do you guys do weekend trips at all?

Where are the best places for a Noob off roader to try out? I am pretty much clueless of where to ride off road so any guidance is welcomed.

BTW...where can I find Lat/Long references for entry points to some of these trails? My GPS (has PMS) and gets lost really easily.
I get lost navigating my garage without it !!!!

I am currently looking for a KLR650 in reasonable condition and not too expensive in the 2000 - 2005 range though I will consider older if the mileage is low.

OTHER THINGS I NEED TO KNOW:

Do I need a permit to ride off-road here? If so where do I get one and what does it cost?

I have read that you have to have spark suppression on the exhaust system. What do i need for this?

Thanks in anticipation

KUDOS

Back to top Go down

Newbie (site) Empty Re: Newbie (site)

Post  modette Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:41 pm

So many places to ride, just open a map or get a Delorme atlas and go exploring.

Most Dual Sports do not need spark arrestors because they are not straight through pipes. Also from my understanding you do not need a sticker to ride off road if you are plated. To see if your pipe is good, stick a long stick down it and if you hit something half way through your good to go, that is what the Forest Service will check. This is why I got the Leo Vince Slip-On, it has a ton of different baffles and also has stamped on it that it mets Forest service regulations.

Keep looking on Craigslist, and Ebay...maybe try the dealers too on used KLR650's. I would not rule out other Dual Sports either, I originally wanted a KLR650 but decided it was not what I wanted...seems they are more for touring, and for that I just get a Street bike like the FJR1300. The Honda XR650R is good for what I need, if I was really into dirt touring I probably go the BMW route. Yeah, they cost money but they are probably the best ride for dirt touring. Day use, even the Suzuki DRZ400 is a good option or the Yamaha WR250R.

Spat,
Yeah sorry for the shameless plug on ADVRider...that site can never be replaced, and I am not trying too...I just want to share where various trails and single tracks are with a review to help guide people...all in one spot for the State of Colorado.

modette

Back to top Go down

Post  KUDOS Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:33 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the heads up on Trail riding and exhaust.

I have done a lot of research on the Bike i want to buy.

I want something tough and reliable and most of my riding will be commuting and touring with some off road.

Off Road is something new to me and even though it may not be the absolute best in this role, for the price it offers a lot.

Also, I have learned a whole new meaning to the word...FRUSTRATION

I am fixing up a Yamaha Virago 650 1982. never in my life have I pur o much effort into a bike and not had it running perfectly.

One day it will run beautifully. The next it won't start at all or show any signs of life. I'll share the whole saga if you want me to.

Anyway, suffice to say that I am about to send off two TCI units to have them rebuilt with modern components.

Later I'll get down to sorting out the "Box of Rocks" starter issue.

I am not beaten yet....just a little beaten up!

So you understand the appeal of a Bullet proof single cylinder work horse for me.

Do you know any folks in the vicinity of Aurora. I would like to meet some (older) fellow adventurers around these parts.

Anyways, thanks again....and does this make me a founder Member? Being as we are so few in number at the moment?,,,LOL

Ride Safe...There are a lot of Loonies out there!!

KUDOS

Back to top Go down

Post  modette Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:05 pm

I have not meet others really. I do plan to be at Dirt Fest in Woodland Park, CO this coming summer (2010). I am also doing the get together in South Fork, CO (posted on the ADVRider.com forum).

I do not expect this forum ti be big, so many other great forums around...mainly this was a way to organize the reviews I do.

modette

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down